Family Law

My Ex Partner Has Stopped Paying Child Support. What Can I Do?

Posted by admin on February 20, 2017

In case a noncustodial parent fails to make payments after a child support order, you can go back to court and file for an administrative action. This means asking a judge to enforce the delinquent parent to adhere to the support order. In such a situation, you can choose to file the case on your own and represent yourself in court, or you can decide to hire a Cedar Park Child Support Lawyer to handle the case on your behalf.

The judge will have several choices, and it’s not an uncommon thing for judges to jail or impose fines on delinquent parents due to contempt of court. The judge can also decide to make the delinquent parent pay some of the outstanding child support for him or her to be released from jail. However, to protect your rights during the process, ensure that you consult an experienced Cedar Park Child Support Lawyer.

Child Support Enforcement in Texas

The Attorney General Office has a CSD (Child Support Division) that has the responsibility of providing child support to both non-receiving and receiving parents. State and federal laws require that the CSD offers the following services:

  • Suspending the driver’s license of the delinquent parents, professional certificates, licenses, and game licenses
  • Filing a lien on the properties of delinquent parents
  • Intercepting federal income tax refunds, lottery winnings, and other state or federal monies
  • Collaborating with other states in case the paying parent moves to a different state
  • Locating the employer of the paying parent and ensure that the child support is deducted from the paychecks.
  • Asking the judge to jail the parent

The CSD and family court judges have powerful financial and legal tools that can help you obtain payment from your ex. However, the tools the CSD and courts use will depend on your case. To protect the future of your child or children, contact Jackson Law Firm today.

For more information click here

Related Articles

Divorce Attorney in Round Rock Texas

Is Collaborative Divorce a Good Choice?

Where collaborative divorce is concerned, Texas has been a leader since 1991. Since that year, Texans have had the ability to avoid public, contentious divorce, and instead, reconcile their differences in a more cooperative environment. While it’s a great choice for many of the state’s couples, it’s not right for everyone. Read on to learn […]

Family Law Divorce Attorney Williamson County

Consequences of not paying Child Support

  Child support is a weekly or monthly support payment order that is meant to support minor children. Ignoring a child support order can reap very serious consequences. State and federal agencies are working in conjunction to penalize those who have delinquent child support payments. If you are in need of a good family lawyer, […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *