Our Round Rock Immigration Lawyers are here to help

Cedar Park Immigration Lawyer

request consultation

Cedar Park Immigration Attorney

Immigration can be a complicated and stressful process for families and individuals. The laws and rules governing admittance into the United States, how long you can stay, what you can do, and who and what can be brought into the country, can be confusing as well. Whether you are trying to enter the U.S. or seek to remain in the country, if you are facing an immigration dilemma, it is important that you work with an immigration attorney with experience. At our firm, we have significant experience assisting our clients in reaching favorable outcomes for their cases.

Cara L. Surell is an attorney licensed by the Supreme Court of Texas, and she is a member of the American Bar Association General Practice Immigration Committee. She has worked in the Immigration law field for many years and can help you navigate complicated immigration laws. She received a pro bono service award in law school for her dedication to helping immigrant children and understands the sensitive emotional issues that can be involved in your immigration case. She can help you with your immigration needs whether you are seeking to obtain immigration status for a family member or loved one or whether you are an employer seeking to fill job openings.

The Jackson Law Firm provides immigration legal services to our clients by analyzing their immigration issues to determine the best course of action that best suits our client’s specific situation and needs. If you have questions or concerns regarding immigration and how our team can help, please do not hesitate to contact our office today for a consultation with our immigration lawyers. We can assist you with any of the following:

  1. Family Based Immigration – Adjustment of Status & Naturalization
  2. Business/Employment Based Immigration – Nonimmigrant and Immigrant work visas
  3. H-1B Visa and I-9 Compliance
  4. Investor Visas
  5. Fiancée Visas
  6. Asylum
  7. Deportation Defense
  8. Appeals


Foreign citizens who intend to enter the United States must first obtain a Visa. There are more than 180 different types of visas, all of which fall under one of two distinct immigration categories; Immigrant and Nonimmigrant visas.

Immigrant Visas

Foreign nationals who plan on immigrating to the United States on a permanent basis must apply for an immigrant visa. All applicants must first complete the process for permanent residency through either employment-based immigration or family immigration. In some cases, refugees, asylum seekers and other certain foreign citizens may also be able to obtain immigrant visas. These visas allow foreign citizens to enter a U.S. port of entry, where they can receive their permanent resident status.

Nonimmigrant Visas

All foreign citizens who want to visit United States on a temporary basis must apply for a nonimmigrant visa. Temporary nonimmigrant visas may be granted for a variety of reasons and usually include information about the purpose of a person’s visit and the duration of their stay in the United States. Some of the most common types of nonimmigrant visas include student visas, tourist visas, temporary worker visas, and investor visas, among others. Our experienced immigration attorneys are prepared to assist employers, families, and individuals in determining which visa category is most appropriate for their needs and helping them navigate through the difficult application process.

This time in your life can be crucial and the next steps you take may mean the difference between obtaining the correct visas to enter or remain in the United States and the risk of being sent back to your home country. Contact our office for a consultation to determine which option fits your needs. We provide personal service by listening to our Clients, understanding their situation, finding solutions for their specific needs, while protecting their immigration interests.

Naturalization and Citizenship

Becoming a United States Permanent Resident

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a person can become a naturalized citizen and remain in the United States legally and permanently by fulfilling the requirements outlined by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). To become a naturalized citizen, you must meet all requirements and complete the N-400 form; a document that provides USCIS with information about you including your history of residence, marital status, and your overall moral character. You must be in good standing by meeting the residency requirements of the INA and having no recent criminal history and good moral character. There are several paths to becoming a U.S. citizen, including the following:

General Path to Citizenship

To obtain citizenship through a general path, you must be at least 18 years or older and a lawful permanent resident for five years. You must be able to read, write, and speak English as well as have a general understanding of U.S. history and government.

Spouses of United States Citizens

If you hold a green card and have been a permanent resident of the United States for at least three years, you may be eligible to receive citizenship.

Military Service

One of the fastest ways to obtain citizenship in the United States is by serving in the United States armed service. In times of peace and in times of war, you may become a United States citizen through a streamlined process as established in the INA.

Investor Visas

Entrepreneurs and investors throughout the world have always seen the United States as an attractive place to invest or conduct business. Two government programs available to international investors interested in conducting business in the USA are the EB-5 Investor Visa Program and the E Nonimmigrant Visa. The EB-5 Investor Visa Program was created to stimulate the United States economy through job creation and capital investment by foreign investors. The Treaty Trader (E-1) or Treaty Investor (E-2) visa is a nonimmigrant visa for nationals of countries with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce who are coming to the United States to carry on substantial trade or to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise. Contact our lawyers for sound immigration solutions.

K-1 Fiancée Visa

A citizen of a foreign country who would like to come to the United States to marry an American citizen and reside in the U.S. must obtain a K-1 visa. Contact the immigration lawyers at the Jackson Law Firm to assist you in obtaining a K-1 visa.

I-9 Compliance

USCIS and DOL inspect companies to confirm that immigrant employees are working under the conditions outlined in the employer’s visa petition. The government also seeks to ensure the employer – as opposed to the employer’s client – has the right to control an immigrant employees’ work. Investigated companies face fines and revocation of visas. If contacted by USCIS or DOL, contact our office immediately. The Jackson Law Firm has experience protecting employees and employers by coordinating and limiting government inquiries.

ICE is collecting millions of dollars from small and large businesses for ‘paperwork’ violations. For each worker, you must complete and save all forms I-9. Let us review your I-9’s and save you thousands of dollars.

“DACA” – Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

On June 15, 2012, President Obama and the Secretary of Homeland Security announced a new Department of Homeland Security (“DHS”) policy that will allow some undocumented young people to apply for a way to:

  • Avoid being removed or deported from the United States;
  • Avoid being removed if already in removal proceedings
    (immigration court);
  • Avoid being placed into removal proceedings

Those who apply and are found eligible will receive a benefit called deferred action for a period of two (2) years – with the possibility of renewal – and will be eligible to apply for work authorization.

Pursuant to the Secretary’s June 15, 2012 memorandum, in order to be considered for deferred action for childhood arrivals (“DACA”), you must submit evidence, including support documents, showing that you:

  1. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  2. Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  3. Were physically present and have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  4. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and;
  5. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

These guidelines must be met for consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals (“DACA”). USCIS retains the ultimate discretion on whether deferred action is appropriate in any given case.


US Citizenship & Immigration Services (CIS)
Current Immigration News: Click Here
Immigration FAQs: Click Here
CIS Forms & Fees
InfoPASS Schedule
CIS Case Status Online
US Department of State
US State Department (Passports)
US State Department (Visas)
Department of State: Diversity Visa (DV-2013) Instructions
Department of State: Glossary of Terms
USCIS – Laws, Regulations and Guides
USCIS Monthly Newsletter
USCIS Public Info by Topic