(512) 528-1900
Child custody

What is Relocation and Child Custody Modification?

Posted by brian on August 24, 2018
Image of a map showing relocation from one home to another

In divorce cases, there are times when the parent who has legal custody of a child will want to relocate out of the geographical area that the parties live in. That may or may not be agreed upon. One thing that’s for certain is that they can’t just get up and go. A court order permitting or denying relocation must be entered. The custodial parent who wants to relocate is required to bring an appropriate motion before the court for a hearing. If the non-custodial parent is objecting to the relocation, they can file a written response to the motion to relocate along with a petition for a temporary restraining order to forbid relocation until such time as a full hearing on the issue can be had.

The Controlling Statutes

Section 156.001 of the Texas Family Code and what follows it will apply to any motion to relocate with a child to another geographical area. The statute involves complicated considerations. Whether you’re seeking to relocate and remove one or more children from the geographical area or objecting to a motion to relocate and remove, you’ll want to be represented by a knowledgeable and experienced family law attorney at The Jackson Firm in Cedar Park, Texas. Here at The Jackson Firm, we provide personal service along with integrity and respect.

The best interests of your child or children take precedence over anybody else who might be involved in the case, even if you were never married. It doesn’t matter either whether the party who wants to move away has sole custody and control. Contact The Jackson Law Firm in Cedar Park to craft your solution to relocation issues. We’re careful listeners, and you’ll be treated with dignity and respect. You can phone us at 512-645-1501 or use our online contact form.

For more information on our Child Custody Attorney in Cedar Park, please visit our site.

Related Articles

A young girl listening to her divorcing parents argue about child custody

How Does a Judge Decide Custody?

Parents are always encouraged to settle their differences in the best interests of any children without involving the court system. When this is impossible, the decision will be made by a judge. Many factors are involved, and a number of solutions can be considered. Our Round Rock Child Custody Lawyers at The Jackson Law Firm […]

Children are often affected by Child Custody Decisions made due to the lack of a professional lawyer

How is Child Custody Decided in a Divorce?

Child custody is granted by the court during a divorce. There are two options for child custody -joint and sole. In joint custody, both parents have equal rights in the child’s physical and legal decision-making. When sole custody is granted, only one parent makes the decisions. Physical custody includes the day-to-day activities and where the […]